Sutton Cycle Forum April 2018

Overview

The second Sutton Cycle Forum of 2018 (and the tenth since the borough’s Cycling Strategy was approved in November 2015, and subsequently published in February 2016) took place on 10 April 2018 at the offices of Sutton Council, Denmark Road.

Notes on the previous forum meeting, held on 9 January 2018, are available in Sutton Cycle Forum January 2018.

Agenda for 19 April 2018 Cycle Forum

The following agenda for the April meeting had been received on 3 April 2018:

  1. Minutes and actions from meeting held on 9 January 2018
  2. 2018/19 LIP discussion
  3. Sutton Cycle Network Plan
  4. Sutton Cycle Forum remit
  5. Date of next meeting
  6. Any Other Business

An action from the 9 January 2018 Cycle Forum (under AoB) had been for Leigh Gravenor to present the Cycle Network Plan at the next meeting, so it was good to see this as an agenda item. The minutes from the January meeting also suggested that agenda item for this April Cycle Forum would into include a LIP update, and that was there too.

There was some disappointment that a ‘Schemes Update’ document had not been provided to Cycle Forum attendees prior to the April meeting (a ‘Schemes Update’ document is usually provided ahead of meetings). However, a printed copy was handed out at the meeting, although, confusingly, this was dated 9 January 2018.

A print-out of the Local Implementation Plan Settlement 2018-19 – Appendix A (as presented to the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee meeting on 1 February 2018, Item 39, Appendix A) was also made available at the meeting. This detailed the schemes that were about to start in the current financial year (2018/2019).

Attendees, 10 April 2018: Leigh Gravenor (Chair, Kingston and Sutton Shared Services), Hitesh Wadher (Kingston and Sutton Shared Services, with responsibility for two Local Committee areas (Sutton; St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley)), Ian Baker (Team Leader – Parking (Kingston) and Sustainable Transport, Kingston and Sutton Shared Services), plus cycling group representatives John Kinnear, Charles Martin, Colin Quemby, Shirley Quemby. Apologies had been received from Cllr. Manual Abellan (Liberal Democrat, Beddington South, Vice-chair Environment and Neighbourhood Committee; Cycling Champion), Lynn Robinson (Kingston and Sutton Shared Services, with responsibility for two Local Committee areas (Cheam North and Worcester Park; Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont)), and cycling group representatives Maeve Tomlinson and Chris Rutland.

Headlines from the April 2018 Cycle Forum

What has happened since the January 2018 Cycle Forum? What is new on the horizon?

Some headline items from the April Cycle Forum were ‘tweeted’ on 11 April (Headlines (1) – some good news items), and on 12 April (Headlines (2) some less good news items).

SuttonCycleForumApril2018_Headlines1_v1

The good news

Subject to the necessary resources being available, the borough is to develop a Cycle Network Plan in order to understand the current facilities for cycling; to consider what facilities are required [to make cycling the real choice for some local journeys by many more people of all ages and abilities]; and to formulate the process required to deliver on this. (Recognising that improvements will be aimed as much towards people who do not currently cycle, as they will be towards those who do currently cycle (in other words, the outcome of the Plan is not just intended to deliver benefits to existing “cyclists” (i.e. us) but to everyone). This plan will be similar to a draft that Kingston have developed, and will take on guidance from the London Cycling Design Standards (LCDS). Various elements (including street type, speed of traffic (posted and average), and the volume of traffic in the peak hour), are recorded into a spreadsheet, and this sets the criteria and starts the discussions. As reported in January 2018, an assessment of Sutton’s streets, in terms of the Cycling Level of Service, has began. The current “network” has been mapped out (maps that had been marked up were shown- including district centres), and gaps in the network highlighted. Mesh analysis (see LCDS) and junction reviews will be carried out too. All required in time for Local Implementation Plan 3 (from 2020).

From April 2019, the funding provided for cycling projects in the borough through the Local Implementation Plan process (and other sources) is likely to be focussed on larger, more enhanced, schemes than is currently the case. This will reflect the anticipated new LIP guidance due to be published imminently, which will be inline with the aspirations set out in the Mayor’s Transport Strategy (published March 2018) incorporating the new Healthy Streets Approach to prioritise walking, cycling and public transport. Essentially, funding for projects that enable active travel and reduce car dependency. (Still subject to relatively low funding levels though, when compared to Quietways and Liveable Neighbourhoods). Schemes for 2019/2020 will go to Local Committees in June before the Environment and neighbourhood Committee approval in September (the usual annual cycle). All we know for these is that they will include a scheme for London Road / Goat Road (Wandle Valley) in collaboration with LB of Merton. This safety scheme, at a nasty junction, really should have been brought forward.

Hitesh Wadher is attending a TfL Healthy Streets seminar on 27 April.

Then there was some less good news headline items:

SuttonCycleForumApril2018_Headlines2_v1

The less good news

Proposed works for Butter Hill by Mill Lane, Carshalton, [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] which are expected to be carried out later this month and which could be detrimental for cyclists, have not been brought to the Cycle Forum for consideration. Given that the borough’s Cycling Strategy (November 2015) states that the council “consult with London Cycling Campaign and Cyclists’ Touring Club local representatives on all new highway and transport schemes” (paragraph 3.42), the remit of the Cycle Forum had been brought in to question (see Forum Remit below).

In regard to the recent installation of barrier at Watermead Lane on the Wandle Trail (NCN 20, Avenue Verte) [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] – as detailed by blogger @lastnotlost in ‘London’s Sutton Council bars disabled cyclists from NCN20, Wandle Trail‘ (13 March 2018) – the Forum formally requested a response from officers at Sutton Council, and from Sustrans, as to what happens next.

Twitter exploded in reaction to our tweet, posted on 16 March 2018:

So much public money spent on a good surface thru Poulter Park (Wandle Trail) and now it is closed to bikes‘.

We were told that officers at Sutton Council will not be able to be involved with discussions until after the forthcoming council elections. The Forum agreed that there should have been wider consultation prior to a decision being made on the installation of the barrier. There is now the expectation that the classification of this section of the route, as a fit-for-purpose cycling asset, will need to be reconsidered in light of the installation of the barrier. Given that TfL provided Sutton Council with funding to upgrade the Watermead Lane section of the route, LCC representatives believe that it would seem reasonable for the council to refund TfL the costs involved with the upgrade if the barrier remains. A refund would seem essential should the decision be taken to declassify this section of the route from the National Cycle Network.

Our request for cycling levels to be monitored (or feedback from residents sought) on the Green Wrythe Lane, Carshalton, [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] shared-use footway has not been progressed. We first asked for this at the April 2017 Cycle Forum meeting. At every subsequent meeting this has been carried forward as an action. So, today, this is the fifth time we have raised the issue.

There was no update on progress regarding Beddington Lane [Open Street Map and Google Streetview].

Other news

Leigh Gravenor, the Sutton Cycle Forum Chair, is leaving Kingston/Sutton Shared Services on 3 May. Leigh has chaired the forum meetings since January 2017 (and has attended the meetings since March 2016). We wish him well in his new endeavours. The Sustainable Transport Team will seek to continue having a presence at the Forum meetings.

Senior engineer Lynn Robinson did not attend the Cycle Forum today due to other commitments. Unfortunately, neither Leigh or Hitesh were able to report on the actions and updates from the January forum that were attributed to Lynn. These updates were not given in the ‘schemes update’ document that was handed out. So, there was an element of not being prepared, a point that was noted by Ian Baker.

It is believed that the expected Liveable Neighbourhoods bid (to be submitted by October 2018) will involve Sutton town centre (although this has yet to be confirmed).

Liveable Neighbourhood Bid discussions are ongoing with TfL and others. Any bid is likely to focus on Sutton Town Centre and fit in with Sutton Town Centre Masterplan. A bid would be the same timeline as the 2019/2020 spending plan and would be submitted around September/October this year“.

Potentially good news, but it is not known how Liveable Neighbourhood proposals for Sutton town centre will relate with Sutton Town Centre Masterplan ideas. Also, there is a question over whether the level of Liveable Neighbourhood funding (up to £10 million) would be enough to deliver transformative changes across the town centre (and well beyond to surrounding areas). After all, in the core town centre a lot of infrastructure work will be required to re-work the gyratory, and improvements will be needed up to a kilometre or more from the High Street to make cycling a safe and comfortable option for most people. Arguably, therefore, it could be preferable to wait five years and do things as part of a Masterplan, rather deliver less-good, quick fixes in the shorter term that may only be replaced in a matter of a few years. Mind you, where else in the borough would be worthy of Liveable Neighbourhoods funding? 

Staff resources remains an issue. No replacement has been found for Yinak Danityan, former Senior Professional Engineer with responsibilities for Beddington and Wallington, Carshalton and Clockhouse, who had left the council in the spring or early summer 2017. Ian Price is continuing to take on responsibilities for these areas.

Borough scheme updates by Local Committee area

The notes to previous Cycle Forum meetings contain some more detail on many of the schemes outlined here. In this review, the schemes are considered on an area by area basis (the six Local Committee areas). All schemes relate to the Local Implementation Plan (LIP) current financial year (2017-2018), unless otherwise stated.

Beddington and Wallington

The big project in Beddington and Wallington remains the Beddington North TfL Major Scheme for Beddington Lane. (This is outside the remit of the LIP programme). No further update was provided on Beddington Lane. In theory, phase one of the project is due to be completed in May 2018.

The 2016-2017 safety scheme at the Stafford Road with Woodcote Road intersection in Wallington [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] is still “ongoing” and in the feasibility stage. There are three possible options. Consultants WSP are modelling the junction and lights near the junction. “Liaising with TfL. Consultation will follow modelling.”

At the January 2018 Cycle Forum, assurance was given that the Stafford Road / Woodcote Road scheme would be designed with consideration to a north-south cycle route [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] to run parallel to Woodcote Road, and that designs will be shared with the forum. There was no update on this north-south route. No report on Ross Parade/Clarendon Road/Ross Road [Open Street Map] which “needs to be added” within the north-south remit. ACTION: ‘Ian Price to provide update on where designs at‘.

In terms of enforcement of parking on Woodcote Road (Wallington’s High Street), and parking encroachment on the painted cycle lane, the following was reported (the ACTION for LG from January 2018 ‘LG to check with parking what enforcement is taking place’): “As the cycle lane is not mandatory but only advisory no parking contravention is taking place when all four wheels are inside the bay. Sutton do undertake enforcement in Wallington daily for vehicles parked outside of the bay (at least one wheel), vehicles not loading, vehicles parked in goods vehicle only loading bays without being a goods vehicle and vehicles in a disabled bay without a blue badge on display. Woodcote Road is one of our highest PCN issue locations across the Borough

We learned that the Foresters Drive scheme (between Sandy Lane and Mollison Drive) [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] relates to a proposal to introduce a safer crossing point on Foresters Drive between The Newlands and Mollison Drive. We still cannot help thinking that had our 2014 Space for Cycling ‘ward ask’ for the Beddington South been delivered (and, by the way, all three ward councillors showed their support for the ‘ask’ at the time), issues here this would have largely been resolved by now.

Meanwhile, issues pertaining to the petition by residents of Tharp Road [Open Street Map] to convert their street to one-way appears to still be unresolved. (Tharp Road is not currently a LIP funded scheme, but Tharp Road is part of the London Cycle Network). The Forum was assured in January 2018 that it would be informed on any decisions or plans. No room for bikes: how Tharp Road could show borough-wide failure for cycling has the background.

The Forum said Tharp Rd is part of the Cycle Network and should be highlighted to residents as such in the 2018/19 scheme. While residents want it 1 way it is a cycle route so cycle access must be considered. SQ was concerned that speeds would increase if the road were made 1 way. CQ pointed out that the alternative cycle route was not good“. ACTION: IP to take on board comments about Tharp Road.

No report on proposed 20mph zone for Butter Hill, Leachcroft Road and Caledon Road (Wallington North) [Open Street Map]. Item not included in the ‘Schemes Update’.

Carshalton and Clockhouse

There are currently no cycle-specific proposals for this local committee area.

The Butter Hill by Mill Lane (Carshalton Central) [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] scheme is currently being implemented. Although we had been told on previous occasions that there were two possible options here, and that the plans would be brought to the Forum for consideration before a decision was made (inline with the borough’s Cycling Strategy policy), the proposals have not been brought to the Cycle Forum. The scheme is just going ahead, and there is concern that the opportunity is not being taken to make improvements for cyclists. Butter Hill (and Mill Lane to the north) carry around 700 motor vehicles an hour during the morning peak period. Clearly an excessive amount of rat-running through an attractive residential area. ACTION: HW to check all schemes going to LCC and Cycling UK and share best practice with colleagues.

There was no update given on a proposal to introduce a 20mph speed limit around Stanley Park High School (Carshalton South and Clockhouse) [Open Street Map and Google Streetview]. Traffic speed may be an issue, but clearly speed of delivery of the 20mph zone is not. Item was not included in the ‘Schemes Update’. Our Space for Cycling ‘ward ask’ for Carshalton South and Clockhouse in 2014 noted that “There is a lot of potential for access improvements to Stanley Park High School by bicycle, and this requires a review and audit for suitability of many local streets”.  This included the idea that Fountain Drive being redesigned as a linear park. Two of the three ward councillors supported the ask at the time. Does not appear to have made any difference.

Cheam North and Worcester Park

The only cycle-specific scheme for the Cheam North and Worcester Park local committee area relates to the surfacing of a shared path linking the two sections of Green Lane (Worcester Park) by The Hamptons. [Open Street Map and Google Streetview]. This upgrade initially delivered a two-metre wide, forty-metre long shared, path (limited to two metres in order to accommodate a track for horses to one side). This surfacing has now been extended, with a wider surfaced path, to join the Worcester Park footway. Project complete.

SuttonCycleForumApril2018_MyLiveableLondon_IMG_20180414_2591_v2

Elsewhere, no further updates given on the 20 mph zones around Cheam Common Junior School (Nonsuch) [Open Street Map] (January 2018: formal consultation complete: 20mph and zebra to be installed in February half-term), and in Church Hill Road and surrounding streets (Nonsuch) [Open Street Map] (January 2018: consultation complete, results being analysed).

No progress has been made on taking forward a safe routes to school project for Brookfield Primary School (Stonecot) [Open Street Map and Google Streetview]. “This safe routes to school scheme will involve close working with the school and their travel plan”.

New guard railing and improved crossing points have been installed on Cheam Common Road (Worcester park).

St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Middleton Road (Wandle Valley): This was a scheme that was first brought to our attention at the Sutton Cycle Forum in April 2017. The options for Middleton Road [Open Street Map and Google Streetview] were to either “repaint advisory lanes and make more visible on existing section only”, or “continue advisory cycle lanes to Middleton Circle – will include removing 2 traffic island and replacing with zebras”, with a further option (on ‘reserve list’) “to widen the road to provide kerb separated mandatory cycle lanes between Budge Lane and Middleton Circle”. Clearly, from our point of view a kerb-seperated (but not mandatory) cycle lane was the best option. We made that know at the time, and again at the July 2017 and September 2017 Cycle Forum meetings. At the January 2018 Cycle Forum a plan was presented for Middleton Road that was essentially just paint on the carriageway, complete with nasty width restrictions at traffic islands (down to 3.3m crucial width). No sign of a kerb-seperated cycle lane. We suggested that the money should be spent elsewhere. Following a discussion, the possibility of improvements at the Middleton Road / Budge Lane junction were suggested. Today we were told that the existing cycle lane markings are scheduled to be refreshed towards the end of May, together with signage replacement near Watermead Lane. Cycle lane improvements along Budge Lane past the trading estate are under consideration. The plan to introduce some painted lanes on Middleton Road has been shelved. A small victory! ACTION: ‘HW to see if improvements can be done at Budge Lane. Will share plans if can‘.

Other schemes in the St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle valley Local Committee area that came under discussion were not particularly specific to cycling.

Wrythe Lane (between Welbeck Road and Muschamp Road) [Open Street Map]: “Preliminary proposals prepared.  Tactile paving installations at some side roads complete [no Copenhagen style crossings]. New pedestrian refuge island south of Welbeck Road is under consideration”.

Meanwhile, monitoring of cycling on Green Wrythe Lane, an outstanding action from September 2017 (originally requested April 2017), has still not been instigated yet (despite repeated requests from us). Surely TfL would like to know, in future, if money is well spent?

New Mill Quarter, Hackbridge, the former Felnex site. Essentially, Sutton Council and the developers of the site have let us down badly on this new development. Some background, with updates (that go nowhere), in Felnex redevelopment – an acid test for cycling. ACTION from January 2018: ‘LG to raise issue with Felnex developers’. Response April 2018: ‘Email has been sent to developers with concerns listed‘.

London Road / Goat Road junction (Wandle Valley, and just into the London Borough of Merton) [Open Street Map]. Given that there was a fatality close to this location in April 2014 (as reported here by the Sutton Guardian) and a collision in which two people were hospitalised in April 2017 (again, Sutton Guardian reports here, it is quite disgraceful that this location has not been given the top priority for work before this. Officers have started to collect data, and designs will be shared later in the year.

No report on Denmark Road (The Wrythe) [Open Street Map and Google Streetview], or Camden Road (The Wrythe) [Open Street Map and Google Streetview].

Sutton

The big item for the Sutton Local Committee area is, of course, the borough’s proposed first Quietway. Although the conversation with residents has began (back in the summer of 2017), everything continues to remain quiet at the moment. This is how things will continue until after the local elections on 3 May 2018. The council was supposed to have reported back on the outcome of last summer’s informal Highways Quietways Survey by now. It is believed that this has not happened because it would have required the simultaneous publication of the plans for the next phase, and these may be contentious. It is recognised that a gap, where nothing happens, could lead to a loss of momentum. We are aware that TfL want the whole route agreed before going ahead. Action from January 2018: Charles Martin to write to the Sutton Central and Sutton North councillors for clarification. ACTION COMPLETE – email sent on 25 January 2018 asking for an update and timings on the expected publication of results from last summer’s survey of residents. The email was acknowledged by Cllr. Steve Penneck on 30 January, with a follow-up email on 14 February telling us that the options for the project were being assessed, and that there would be further consultation on the options. When the timings were know, we would be told. So essentially telling us what we already knew, but not telling us what we wanted to know.

There was no news on the development of a Liveable Neighbourhood bid, beyond the fact that it is believed that there will be a bid and that this will be focussed on Sutton town centre (also see Headlines > Other news above, and AOB below).

The following non-cycling specific schemes for the Sutton Local Committee, were discussed.

Bushy Lane / Vale Road (Sutton North) [Open Street Map]. Footway build-outs are currently being constructed on Bushy Lane near Sutton Bus Garage (rear of new Sainsbury’s). What this had to do with the development of a Quietway (“this crossing scheme overlaps with the Quietway and Parking Strategy”) remains to be seen. There are no plans to make Vale Road two-way.

Sutton High Street (by Vermont Road, Sutton Common Road, All Saints Road) (Sutton North) Open Street Map and Google Streetview. There are no exact dates for the delivery of the scheme to install a signalised, staggered, pedestrian crossing here, but it is now at the implementation stage with anticipated that work will be carried out during the summer school holidays. “Discussions in progress with street works team regarding traffic management requirements”. (Study had being carried out in 2015/16, funding in LIP 2016/17).

A pedestrian safety scheme for Rose Hill (Sutton North) between Rosehill Park West and Waverley Avenue is in development [Open Street Map]. “Tactile paving installations at some side roads complete. Refuge island widening to be completed during May 2018”. The 2014 Space for Cycling ‘ward ask’ for Sutton North included a request to provide protected space on Rose Hill, Angel Hill, the northern section of Sutton High Street and Sutton Common Road.

South Sutton, Cheam and Belmont

There are no specific cycling related schemes for the South Sutton, Cheam and Belmont area.

Proposals to improve the Brighton Road / Cotswold Road junction (Belmont) originated in the LIP proposals in 2016/2017 [Open Street Map and Google Streetview].  Ongoing and a lot more consultation expected (more – has there been any?). “Phase 1 feasibility study was undertaken by Project centre (?). The brief was to look at the junction of Brighton Road / Cotswold Road / Chiltern Road due to possible changes to the area through the development of the Cancer Hub and new secondary school. The brief also included looking at the surrounding area to suggest possible infrastructure improvements to encourage sustainable  modes of transport. Accidents: two Brighton Road junction (?); one Downs Road junction. Follow up meeting with WSP required”. In 2014 we said we would like to see a major upgrade to the whole of Brighton Road, and we have been saying the same ever since (see ‘The idea of Space for cycling on Brighton Road gathers support‘).

Sandy Lane by Burdon Road (Cheam) [Open Street Map] pedestrian crossing, along with junction improvements on Upper Mulgrave Road at the intersection with Sandy Lane, was not reported on (but believe that this scheme has either happened or is imminent).

Grange Road / Worcester Road (Sutton South) [Open Street Map] 20mph with traffic calming. No update provided. Our Space for Cycling ‘ward ask’ for Sutton South related to the provision of quieter routes for cycling in the area by discouraging through traffic on residential roads. Whether the proposals for Grange Road / Worcester Road helps with that remains to be seen.

The width-restriction on Grange Vale (Sutton South) [Open Street Map] has been installed. The January 2018 ACTION: Charles Martin to write to Sutton South councillors (to ask whether a temporary, trial closure, road closure had been considered here). ACTION COMPLETE: Charles sent an email on 25 January with some background to Grange Vale (including traffic counts). Cllr. Tony Shields and Cllr. Richard Clifton replied. They did not think closure would either make any difference to cycling levels, or would cause too much traffic elsewhere. Charles replied with counter arguments, and nothing more has been heard. Blog post in preparation.

2018-2019 Local Implementation Plan discusion

  • 2018/2019 LIP has been agreed. Copies were given to the Forum (Local Implementation Plan Settlement 2018-19 – Appendix A). Forum will be consulted on schemes.
  • LIP 3 will be developed over the next 6 to 9 months. This will cover the 3 year period 2019/20 to 2021/22. There will be a public consultation period on the LIP 3.
  • LIP 3 will focus on bigger schemes in line with the Healthy Streets Approach that are more likely to encourage mode shift, e.g. corridor schemes like Wallington N/S route.
  • 2019/2020 spending plan will go through local committees June/July and get sign off at E&N Committee around September.

ACTION: HW to come back to group with clarity on £25,000 LIP monitoring budget and where spend. (?)

Forum remit

  • JK asked that Objective 6, points 3.42 and 3.43 of the Sutton Cycling Strategy (see below) be included in minutes and at the bottom of every agenda. It is important that the Cycle Forum is consulted on ALL highway and transport schemes.
  • Forum wished to see more evidence of progress on the Cycling Strategy, e.g. establish internal Cycling Advisory Group. Wait to see what comes out of Sustainable Transport Strategy review.

3.42 The Council hosts a Cycle Forum meeting four times a year to work with external stakeholders to better understand their suggestions for cycling in the borough and to ensure that the available funding is being used in the best possible way.

3.43 We consult with London Cycling Campaign and Cyclists’ Touring Club local representatives on all new highway and transport schemes

Network Plan

ACTION from January 2018: LG to share information on cycle network plan process and how Forum can be involved.

  • LG showed the Forum the Kingston Draft Cycle Network Plan. The aim is to create something similar in Sutton. It will give a clear picture of the current state of the network, identify any gaps, establish what the future network should be and set out a plan of prioritised work to achieve that future network.
  • LG suggested Forum members meet on Thursday 3 May, time to be agreed. NOTE: This was not progressed, in part due to LG leaving, and in part due to everyone else being too busy.

AOB

Carshalton Station approach from West Street into North Street (entrance to Carshalton Station) – make cycle contra flow clear and ensure protection for cyclists. ACTION: IP to speak to Carshalton Station about points raised by Forum regarding cycle safety.

Banstead Road South across mouth of Crossways junction – Forum suggested cycle lane requires refreshing. ACTION: LR to look at whether Banstead Road South cycle lane needs refreshing at Crossways junction.

ACTION from January 2018: LG has contacted parking in Sutton in relation to enforcement at Therapia Lane. If can’t enforce no parking then should it be designated as a cycle route?

Therapia Lane, between Beddington Lane and Greenland Way being used as a car park still.

Culvers Avenue and Buckhurst Avenue not signed clearly enough to show shared path. ACTION: HW will speak to Cllrs about Culvers Ave improvements. HW can put on a plan and share if he gets the go ahead.

ACTION from January 2018: LG to keep Forum updated on work to improve reporting functions: LG said wider piece of work looking at Report It functions in Sutton and Kingston. LG has spoken to them about reporting of cycling related issues. Keep Forum updatedA big piece of work is ongoing looking at improving the customer experience of ‘report it’ functions in Sutton and Kingston.

Wandle Trail K Frame – Forum wanted to know what the Council’s position is on the K Frame? It was installed to prevent mopeds accessing the path but has had a negative impact on other people too, e.g. people with larger cycles. Officers will not discuss the future of the K Frame till after the election although members of the Forum are free to discuss directly with the relevant Cllr.

Wandle Trail – Corbet Close (by Hackbridge Road) – Construction of the new housing development on Corbet Close, Hackbridge, has resulted in a narrowing of the adjacent Wandle trail surfaced path. The Forum asked Sutton Council officers to find out what plans are in place for the future of the path. ACTION: HW to find out what happening with Wandle Trail next to Corbet Close and report back to Forum.

Information on Sutton cycle training can be found here.

Quietway: CM wrote to Cllrs. CM didn’t receive much information but it seems the Quietway update will come after the election (also see Borough Scheme Updates > Sutton above).

Sutton Town Centre – The council has recently commissioned architects to create a Delivery Plan that will succeed in building on the Sutton Town Centre Masterplan. The Delivery Plan will set a clear strategy for regeneration, identifying:

  • the council’s strategy for townscape, public realm and gyratory transformation;
  • opportunities for land assembly strategy, disposal of assets and developer activity in the town centre;
  • where the production of Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD) need to be developed to avoid piecemeal development and incorporate polycentric city principles.

The Delivery Plan is due to be complete in June 2018, and from then on Sutton will work to engage local Stakeholders such as the Cycle Forum in delivery.

Date of the next meeting

The next meeting will take place on Tuesday 10th July 2018 at 10am at Denmark Road

Suggested agenda items:

  • Quietway update
  • Sutton Town Centre Masterplan
  • Liveable Neighbourhoods update – Opportunity Sutton Town Centre
  • Cycling Strategy update
  • Cycle Network Plan
  • LIP 3

Also, given that the third annual review of the borough’s Sustainable Transport Strategy (with the second annual review of the Cycling Strategy) is due to be published at the June 2018 Environment and Neighbourhood Committee, it would have be useful to have an item relating to that update.

First published 09.07.2018.

Advertisements
Posted in Cycle Forum

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

LCC Newsletters via email
Opt in to receive emails from either the Sutton local group list or the main LCC enewsletter list here or manage all your LCC subscriptions here.
Follow us on Twitter
Support Space for Cycling
%d bloggers like this: