Sutton Cycle Forum July 2017

SuttonCycleForumJuly2017_01_IMG_6120_v1

1: Overview

The third Sutton Cycle Forum of 2017 (and the seventh since the borough’s Cycling Strategy was approved in November 2015, and subsequently published in February 2016) took place on 27 July 2017 at the offices of Sutton Council, Denmark Road.

Note: This meeting had originally been due to take place on 11 July 2017, but had been rescheduled a few days earlier due to a combination of staff being on holiday and the anticipation that an update on the Sutton’s first Quietway not being available until August. Rather than postpone the Cycle Forum until August, the decision was taken to go ahead on 27 July,  but have a follow-up meeting with Sustrans to discuss the Quietway on 24 August. 

Notes on the previous forum meeting, held on 4 April 2017, are available in Sutton Cycle Forum April 2017.

Lynn Robinson, Leigh Gravenor (Chair), Hitesh Wadher and Rud Francois attended on behalf of Kingston and Sutton Shared Services. It was good to welcome Rud (with planning responsibilities) to his first Cycle Forum meeting. Cllr. Manuel Abellan, Cycling Champion, was in attendance too, along with cycling group representatives John Kinnear, Charles Martin, Colin Quemby and Shirley Quemby. Apologies had been received from Chris Rutland. We were told that Yinak Danityan, Senior Professional Engineer with responsibilities for Beddington and Wallington, Carshalton and Clockhouse, had left LB of Sutton, and that his role would, in part, be taken by Ian Price.

Agenda for 27 July 2017 Cycle Forum

The following agenda had been received on 25 July:

  1. Minutes of meeting held on 4 April 2017
  2. Schemes update – Neighbourhood Engineers
  3. North/south cycle route discussion
  4. Date of next meeting
  5. Any Other Business

However, the minutes to the meeting, subsequently received on 15 August, were structured slightly differently. This was an improvement, as it provided more clarity on the topics discussed. The revised presentation of the topics will be reflected in the notes here.

  1. Welcome and apologies
  2. Minutes 4 April 2017
  3. Scheme updates 2016-2017
  4. Scheme updates 2017-2018
  5. Scheme updates 2018-2019
  6. North/south cycle route, Wallington
  7. Quietway update
  8. AOB
  9. Date of next meeting

An full agenda item on Sutton’s first Quietway was not expected this time, as news on this is to feature in a specially convened meeting (effectively part two of this Cycle Forum) next month. (Some drawings of draft plans were available to view, but it was decided to hold these over for discussion to the 24 August meeting).

It was good to see the north/south cycle route on the agenda (relating directly to LIP schemes for 2017/18 including Bridge Road (by Ross Parade)), as this was a current hot topic given the recent site visit with Cllr. Abellan to Bute Road.

However, there was again disappointment that the borough’s Cycling Strategy (and issues relating to this, such as the commitment by the council to establish of an internal Cycling Advisory Group), was not a specific agenda item. Particularly so, given that the first annual review of the Cycling Strategy had recently been published at the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee meeting held on 22 June 2017. (There is more on the Cycling Strategy’s first annual review in Notes from our July 2017 meeting). It would have been extremely useful to have had a presentation, outlining the successes and challenges of the Cycling Strategy in relation to the stated objectives, along with some background on the why model share target for 2017 had not been met.

Other specific items that would have been good to have seen on the agenda, even though were outside of the ‘schemes update’ remit but because they matter to us, included Tharp Road, Beddington Lane, and Sutton Town Centre. Tharp Road would have been discussed at the Beddington and Wallington Local Committee on 11 July 2017, so a report on that would have been welcome (for instance, what’s happening with the proposal to introduce one-way working on this section of LCN route?). The consultation period on the Beddington North Tfl Major Scheme had closed on 16 July, so an acknowledgement of our response would have been appreciated (and it would have been interesting to have received feedback from other respondents to the consultation). A discussion on the Sutton Town Centre Masterplan been anticipated as a meeting agenda item, ever since the idea was put forward at the January 2017 Cycle Forum (so what has happened about that?).

The opportunity was taken at the start of the meeting to ask for these topics to be included for discussion under Any Other Business.

A number of ‘actions’ from the previous Cycle Forum meeting in April 2017 were not reported on at this July meeting (although some were subsequently reported on in the minutes that were subsequently sent to attendees on 15 August). For more on the actions, see Agenda Items 1 and 2 below.

Room for improvement – summary

One outcome of the January 2017 Cycle Forum meeting had been to highlight some specific areas for improvement within the Cycle Forum. Essentially, these were about achieving better communication between Sutton Council staff, council officers and members of the Local Committees, and to ensure that the aims and objectives outlined in the borough’s cycling strategy are continually discussed to help deliver exemplary cycling schemes.

Another area for improvement, that is now becoming more apparent, is for greater consideration to be given to issues outside the remit of the ‘schemes update’. One example of this, as noted elsewhere in this post, is Tharp Road. This is not a current ‘scheme’ as such, but nevertheless it would be helpful to be kept abreast of any developments here (which, in this case, would include feedback from the Beddington and Wallington Local Committee). In a sense, this is all part of the communications issue.

Some feedback to our responses to consultations would also be appreciated in future. This was highlighted in the Sutton Cycle Forum April 2017 notes, along with the need for the Council to try harder when it comes to chasing up on progress (see Cycle Stand Locations) which could be interpreted as a lack of momentum or commitment.


2: Review of the minutes of meeting held on 4 April 2017

CM made some observations on the April 2017 Cycle Forum minutes (also see Sutton Cycle Forum April 2017). Also ‘Actions from April 2017 Cycle Forum’ below.

  • In regard to Westmead Road / Ringstead Road, CM noted that it was not recorded in the minutes to the April meeting that he had questioned the requirement to include speed (or traffic) cushions in the overall design here.
  • Green Wrythe Lane: minutes included “Informal consultation on northern section now complete. Decision was taken to go ahead”. It had been mentioned at the April Forum that it would be good to know why the decision had been taken to go ahead, or at least have had some feedback, particularly in light of our response to the informal consultation (documented here).
  • Cycle stand locations: minutes included the report “CM requested cycle stands at all Local Committee locations”. This could be interpreted that the request was new. As a point of clarification, CM reiterated that this request had first been made at the Cycle Forum in March 2016.
  • Middleton Road: the minutes did not include the point made at the April meeting that the option to repaint advisory lines was not enough, and that only the provision of separated cycle lanes here would be supported.
  • One good news story that was reported in April, but which does not receive a mention in the minutes, was that the short path between Boscombe Road and the Worcester Park to North Cheam path had been upgraded (linked to the Green Lane scheme).

JK said that the ‘Report it’ function on the LBS website was not good enough. It just led to a generic email page, was not tailored to cycle specific issues (the category for cycling was ‘other’), there was no online mapping to aid reporting, and the ten-day response time was not met. Cllr Abellan advised that Sutton Council’s website was being changed and upgraded and this could make a difference.

Actions from April 2017 Cycle Forum

Not all of the actions from the April 2017 meeting were discussed specifically at the July 2017 meeting. Some were noted during the discussions to Agenda Item 2 ‘Schemes Update’, others were subsequently reported in the minutes received on 15 August.

  • Royal Marsden/ICR/Sutton Hospital junction: Share designs with Cycling Forum for comment. Share key dates Designs not yet available, ongoing
  • Butter Hill pedestrian crossing: YD to share designs with Cycling Forum YD has left. Not discussed. ACTION OUTSTANDING.
  • Woodmansterne Road: YD to say whether designs require sharing with Cycling Forum. (Scheme abandoned, see agenda item 3).
  • Westmead Road/Ringstead Road: YD to check if parking is being reorganised as part of scheme. Provide key dates. HW reported that a ‘stage 3’ safety audit is to be carried out, and if there is an issue with parking this should be picked up then (see agenda item 3).
  • Green Wrythe Lane:
    • HW consider monitoring options for scheme to see how well used. Not discussed. ACTION OUTSTANDING. Monitoring is considered essential.
    • HW to provide info on why a shared pavement was chosen as part of the design for Green Wrythe Lane. RESPONSE: “The shared cyc/ped path along Green Wrythe Lane was a continuation of the previous year’s scheme. It was aimed at encouraging less confident riders and younger school children to ride”. [Response clearly indicating there has been no change to approach since the approval of the borough’s cycling strategy in November 2015 – for more, see The last word on Green Wrythe Lane? Get Sutton Cycling, April 2017]
  • All Saints/Angel Hill: HW to check with TfL regarding the right filter signal issue and whether this will be addressed. Not discussed [although the issue of the right filter signal for traffic from Sutton High Street to All Saints Road missing a cycle has not been an issue for several months or more now – so not quite sure why this was an Action].
  • Lower Road/Benhill Road: HW to check whether CTC had been sent consultation RESPONSE: The consultation email was sent to CTC generic email address
  • Stafford Road/Woodcote Road: [1] YD to provide more info on designs and how link will be made with the N/S cycle route. [2] YD to provide more info on the enforcement of the loading bay restrictions [Woodcote Road]. Not reported on (YD has left), but a new action LG to speak to Ian Price about scheme and how it can be linked with N/S route included (see agenda item 3).
  • Felnex site, Hackbridge:  LG to confirm key dates for development and whether there is an opportunity to influence designs still.
  • Cycle stand locations: [1] LR to check final designs for cycle parking in Market Place Scheme to ensure no net loss [Sutton High Street by Asda]. [2] LR to see whether can install cycle stands at all Local Committee locations. The second part of this action dates back to March 2016. There are a dozen or more locations across the borough where Local Committee meetings take place but where cycle parking is either not available (for example St Anthony’s, North Cheam), or not available for public use (for example, Wallington County Grammar School). It had been reported in previous Cycle Forum meetings that a reply was awaited from St Anthony’s. Today we were told St Anthony’s did not want cycle parking (so this specific location was not being progressed).     
  • Cycle shelters: [1] LR to update Forum on progress toward installing next three Bikehangars. Residents had been consulted. Schemes were not going ahead in Grove Road or Landseer Road due to lack of demand and conservation area issues. Residents at two further locations (Abbotsleigh Close and Clarendon Road) are being approached to gather support from neighbours first before a formal consultation takes place. [2] LR to consider putting Mulgrave Road site on reserve list for when funding becomes available.
  • TfL report summary: YD to update and give feedback to committee. YD has left. No report. 
  • Harris Academy, Denmark Road: Ensure designs take into account Camden Road scheme and join everything up. (YD) No report.
  • Foresters Drive: Come up with suggestions for improvements and share with Forum (YD) No report.
  • Bridge Road, Wallington: Consider the N/S cycle route through Wallington within this scheme. (YD) (See agenda item 6, North/South Cycle route, Wallington)
  • Sutton Common Recreation Ground: Ensure the new path links to the Greenway route in this area. Scheme complete. Note: this is not a ‘cycling scheme’, even though it may have been funded as such.

SuttonCycleForumJuly2017_02_IMG_6173_v1

  • Roundshaw Downs: [1] Ensure money is reallocated to the Wallington North/South scheme so it can be expanded. (YD) [2] See if any funding available to address barrier issue on Overhill Road. (YD) No specific report.
  • Middleton Road: Consider whether Middleton Circle improvements could be included as part of this scheme. (YD) See item 2 and item 4.
  • Stanley Park 20mph area consultation: Look at how this scheme could include improvements to route 76. (YD) No specific report.
  • Butter Hill/Leachcroft and Caledon Road 20mph area consultation: Look at whether other measures can be brought in to complement 20mph [e.g. filtered permeability]. (YD) No specific report.
  • Adult cycle training: Everyone to promote adult cycle training. (All)
  • Internal Cycling Advisory Group: Instead of just cycling LB of Sutton to look at how the new Healthy Streets Approach can be promoted internally through Sustainable Transport Strategy meetings or other similar meetings. “Sustainable Transport Strategy meetings do happen infrequently”. Little to suggest anything has changed. 
  • Cycle counts: Cycle counts …. to be shared as soon as available. Analysis ongoing (see item 8).
  • Quietway: Sustrans to provide update on Quietway to group. Meeting arranged for 24 August 2017

3: Schemes Updates 2016-2017

A Schemes Update document, dated 11 July 2017, had been received two days prior to the Cycle Forum on 25 July. The ‘Status’, ‘Update’ and “Lead Engineer’ details reported here have been taken from that document. The ‘Description’ and ‘Funding’ headings (for the schemes listed up to (and including) the Stafford Road/Woodcote Road scheme) have, for expediency, been copied from Cycle Forum highlights issues to be addressed (the second part of our notes to the January 2017 Cycle Forum).

‘Comment’ and ‘Action’ details have been taken from the minutes to the July Cycle Forum received on 15 August 2017, unless shown in square brackets. Supplementary information in parenthesis.

These April 2016 to March 2017 schemes had been presented to local committees during the spring/summer of 2015, and to the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee on 17 September 2015 (see report ‘Local Implementation Plan Funding 2016/2017 Transport Submission’ (dated 17 September 2015), Appendix A ‘Summary of Schemes for funding in 2016/17 and Reserve List’, and Appendix B ‘MTS Goals and Outcomes, Borough’s transport objectives’).


Royal Marsden / ICR / Sutton Hospital site (Belmont) – formerly Brighton Road / Cotswold Road

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Ongoing

Description: Feasibility study to look at how this junction could be improved. Also to investigate traffic and road improvements around the Sutton Hospital site. To improve safety at the junction. To improve pedestrian facilities. To have a proposal that could be funded from future development in the area.

Update: Consultants are working on the Brighton Road/Cotswold/Chiltern Roads junction. The cyclists will be notified of proposals.  (No change on previous updates. January 2017: “With consultants”; April 2017 “Consultants WSP working on the junction designs”).

Funding 2016/17: £30,000

Local Committee: Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont

Lead Engineer: LR/IP

Comment: No key dates given. This is being carried forward to 2017-18 (as ‘Brighton Road / Cotswold Road Phase 2’, see ‘4: Schemes Updates 2017-2018’ below). Whether will require additional funding not known.

Action: –


Mill Lane / Butter Hill Junction (Carshalton Central)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Ongoing

Description: Improving crossing facilities. To improve safety of pedestrians crossing Mill Lane.

Update: The cyclists will be consulted on plans. Two possible options to consider. (No real change on previous updates. January 2017 “Design stage”; April 2017: “Designs being worked on presently”).

Funding 2016/17: £25,000

Local Committee: Carshalton and Clockhouse

Lead Engineer: IP

Comment: [See Projects Update January 2017

Action:


Ruskin Road (Carshalton Central ward)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Complete.

Description: New zebra crossing and upgrade path in the Ornamental Gardens. To provide a link between Carshalton Park to Talbot Road for cyclists and pedestrians.

Update: Parallel crossing complete. (Note: path in Ornamental Gardens has not been upgraded. Presume this idea has been abandoned).

Funding 2016/17: £30,000

Local Committee: Carshalton and Clockhouse

Lead engineer: YD

Comment:

Action: –


Carshalton Road / Countryside Walk (Carshalton South and Clockhouse)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Complete.

Description: Provide a short length of footway on the east side of Carshalton Road adjacent to the Sutton Countryside walk. To provide a safe area on Carshalton Road linking to the Sutton Countryside Walk.

Update: Short length of footway constructed.

Funding 2016/17: £20,000

Local Committee: Carshalton and Clockhouse

Lead Engineer: YD

Comment:

Action:


Woodmansterne Road Footpath (Carshalton South and Clockhouse)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Abandoned.

Description: New shared use footway from Metcalfe Avenue to the entrance to the Diamond Riding Centre. To provide a link between Metcalfe Avenue and Oaks Park.

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Footpath at the design stage [despite status ‘abandoned’]. (Previous updates: January 2017 “Design stage”; April 2017 “Footpath at the design stage”).

Funding 2016/17: £45,000

Local Committee: Carshalton and Clockhouse

Lead Engineer: YD

Comment: [This proposed conversion to shared use would not have been a robust cycling facility in any shape or form, so the fact that it is not proceeding is to be welcomed. No reason was given as to why this scheme was abandoned, or where the £45,000 funding would be redirected].

Action: –


Westmead Road / Ringstead Road Junction (Carshalton Central)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Complete.

Description: Junction improvement. Anti skid surfacing to Westmead Road, entry treatment in Ringsted Road, kerb works. To improve road safety. To improve facilities for pedestrians.

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Mini-roundabout had been consulted on but cyclists were still concerned at restricted visibility from Ringstead Road towards Carshalton. Comments noted and layout amended to allow for better visibility.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • See ‘Comment’ below.

Funding 2016/17: £44,000

Local Committee: Carshalton and Clockhouse

Lead Engineer: YD

Comment: Regarding the Sutton Cycle Forum April 2017 ‘action’ (HW to provide info on why speed cushion were installed on Westmead Road), the following response was provided in the minutes to the July 2017 Cycle Forum: The design of the mini roundabout did not allow sufficient entry deflection to slow traffic down. Speed cushions were introduced on Westmead Road on the approach to the roundabout to slow down the traffic. Still not convinced these were required. The other ‘action’ (YD to check if parking is being reorganised as part of scheme. Provide key dates) was not reported on.

Action (April 2017): See ‘Comment’ above.


Green Wrythe Lane (Wandle Valley)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Complete.

Description: Corridor scheme between Middleton Circle and Bishopsford Road. To improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Informal consultation on northern section now complete. Decision was taken to go ahead [despite Get Sutton Cycling response not in support]. The scheme commenced on site 27/03/17. Widening and resurfacing of the existing path. Parking should not be an issue now northern section is complete with markings.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Not reported. Scheme status complete. (But see outstanding action (April 2017) below).

Funding 2016/17: £100,000

Local Committee: St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Lead Engineer: HW

Comment: It’s all been said before. See ‘Comment’ for this scheme given in the notes  Sutton Cycle Forum April 2017. 

Action (April 2017): HW consider monitoring options for scheme to see how well used. This action was not reported on, and remains outstanding.

Action (July 2017):


All Saints / High Street (Sutton North)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Ongoing

Description: Pedestrian Facilities. (Study being carried out in 2015/16.) To reduce pedestrian casualties. To provide a safe route to All Saints School, Benhilton

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Scheme has had to be postponed due to coordination with TfL. Don’t have date for works yet. Waiting for TfL.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • SQ requested a wheel gully be introduced on the footbridge to help people push over. LR stated that cycling was not allowed on the bridge due to parapets being too low. This is why a gully hadn’t been introduced before.

Funding 2016/17: £100,000

Local Committee: Sutton

Lead Engineer: HW

Comment (April 2017): Not a cycling scheme. (Originally a shared path had been proposed, and we had objected ). A staggered pedestrian crossing is to be implemented (we had asked for a straight-across pedestrian crossing), initially intended to commence mid to end of May.  The coordination with TfL relates to work programmed on the A217 Sutton bypass to replace lighting columns, and the avoidance of simultaneous carriageway restrictions on the A217 and Sutton High Street.

Action (April 2017): –

Action (July 2017): –


Lower Road / Benhill Road (Sutton Central)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Ongoing

Description: Speed tables and improved pedestrian crossing facilities. To improve crossing facilities for pedestrians.

Update (25 July 2017):

  • A roundabout scheme. Due for completion end of July.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • CQ/SQ said they had not received the consultation. They also pointed out parking outside the Scout Hut was blocking views and was a hazard. HW said a stage 3 safety audit will be done and if there is an issue with parking this should be picked up.

Funding 2016/17: £35,000

Local Committee: Sutton

Lead Engineer: HW

Comment: Work currently underway.

Action (April 2017):

Action (July 2017): HW to check where the consultation had been sent. RESPONSE: The consultation email was sent to CTC generic email address (see attached). HW to feedback results of Stage 3 Safety Audit.


Stafford Road / Woodcote Road (Wallington South)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Status: Ongoing

Description: Safety Scheme Investigation. To reduce pedestrian casualties.

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Safety scheme being investigated. This scheme at the Stafford Road junction is still in the feasibility stage and therefore has not yet been designed yet. Three possible options. WSP modelling the junction and lights near junction. Liaising with TfL. Consultation to follow modelling.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Group requested this scheme be designed in conjunction with N/S route parallel to Woodcote Road. LBS to share designs with group.
  • CM said there was an issue of enforcement of the loading bay near this junction. Is the traffic order done and is it being enforced?

Funding 2016/17: £20,000

Local Committee: Beddington and Wallington

Lead engineer: YD

Comment (April 2017): CM asked about the Woodcote Road loading bay near the scheme and whether new traffic order is being enforced]. Not reported on

Action (April 2017): YD to provide more info on designs and how link will be made with the N/S cycle route. YD to provide more info on the enforcement of the loading bay restrictions]. These remain outstanding.

Action (July 2017): LG to speak to Ian Price about scheme and how it can be linked with N/S route.


Felnex site, Hackbridge (Wandle Valley)

Status: Ongoing

Description: ?

Update (25 July 2017): 

  • Major junction being created as part of development. Concerns over junction design and comments on route through new development were shared with planning. Works well underway.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • CM bit disappointed that new development doesn’t appear to be exemplar cycle route through development. Will wait and see what happens. LG/LR – did speak to planning control and fed back group’s views on cycle infrastructure and other transport issues related to the development. [A ‘bit‘ disappointed? For more on the Felnex site, see Felnex Redevelopment – an acid test for cycling (Get Sutton Cycling, June 2016) and Felnex crossing and Hackbridge parking (Get Sutton Cycling, November 2016)]

Funding: ?

Local Committee: St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Comment (April 2017): CQ worried that designs encourage conflict between users, e.g. shared pavements. Doesn’t believe cycle route through development is up to standard. CM referred to the Cycling Strategy and the road user hierarchy. Asked how this will be enforced in the new development]. [For more on the Felnex site, see Felnex Redevelopment – an acid test for cycling (Get Sutton Cycling, June 2016) and Felnex crossing and Hackbridge parking (Get Sutton Cycling, November 2016)]

Action (April 2017): LG to confirm key dates for development and whether there is an opportunity to influence designs still]. Not reported on at July meeting

Action (July 2017): LG to get update from Don and share with group.


Cycle stand locations

Status: Ongoing

Description: Boroughwide

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Still waiting for St Anthonys to reply. More stands installed at Station Road Belmont and Cheam Park.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • CM requested stands at St Anthonys 15 months ago. St Anthonys don’t want stands put in so money has been spent elsewhere. LR said that the stands at the Salvation Army had gone in. CM requested that we say when stands have gone in as it is a good news story. CM still wished to see cycle stands being put in at Local Committee venues.

Funding 2016/17: £5,000

Local Committee: All

Lead Engineer: LR

Comment: [Our request for the provision of cycle parking at the various venues used for the local committee meetings across the borough was first requested at the Cycle Forum in March 2016].

Action:  LBS to tell group when new cycle stands have gone in. Ongoing


Cycle shelters

Status: Ongoing

Description:

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Dover Gardens Bikehangar installed and being used. [Note: a request for the Dover Garden Bikehangar had been instigated in August 2015, with installation in November 2016].

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • SQ mentioned again that there were cycles fly parked in Mulgrave Rd. This could be a possible site for a bikehangar. Consultation on three bikehangar locations have been completed by Paul Garside. CM was unhappy with the result of the consultation on Landseer Road. It was explained that there needs to be significant support for a hangar before it can be installed. Landseer Road is a recently refurbed conservation area with low current interest in a bikehangar. Grove Road consultation had a similar result to Landseer Road. Paul Garside is now asking residents at 2 further locations (Abbotsleigh Close and Clarendon Road) to gather support from neighbours first before a formal consultation takes place.

Funding: ?

Comment:

Action:  Paul Garside to look at Mulgrave Rd as a possible site for a future bikehangar should funding be available. CM to speak to Cyclehoop and neighbours to gather support.


TfL report summary

Progress: As far as aware, none.

Comment: [The background on this has been presented in an number of posts, including Major cycling schemes for TfL roads to be presented to councillors (Get Sutton Cycling, October 2015), and Beddington and Wallington agree that cycling proposals be presented to TfL (Get Sutton Cycling, December 2015)].

Action: YD to update and give feedback to committee. Not reported on.


4: Scheme updates 2017-2018

Schemes to be funded and delivered between April 2017 and March 2018 had been presented to local committees during the spring/summer of 2016. At the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee on 15 September 2016, the report ‘Local Implementation Plan (LIP) for the 2017/18 Budget’ (dated 15 September 2016), along with Appendix A ‘Scheme List’, Appendix B ‘Reserve List’, Appendix C ‘Mayor’s Transport Strategy Outcomes’, were presented to committee members.

The scheme updates listed here are, like the 2016-17 schemes, presented in the order provided in the Schemes Update documentation of 25 July 2017 unless otherwise stated. Details have been supplemented by the notes provided in the minutes of the July 2017 Forum received 15 August.

For additional information on the background of these schemes, see the notes to the Sutton Cycle Forum April 2017. Where indicative funding is provided, this has been sourced from the appendices to the aforementioned ‘Local Implementation Plan (LIP) for the 2017/18 Budget’ report.


Middleton Road (Wandle Valley)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Indicative funding 2017/18: £50,000

Lead Engineer: HW

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Re-paint advisory lanes and make more visible on existing section only. Continue advisory cycle lanes to Middleton Circle – will include removing 2 traffic islands and replacing with zebras. Further option to be added to reserve list is to widen the road to provide kerb separated mandatory cycle lanes between Budge Lane and Middleton Circle.
  • The NCN20 and Wandle Trail crosses Middleton Road near Budge Lane on a Toucan crossing. The route then was along Middleton Road in to Peterborough Road and Bishopsford Road but the route through Poulter Park was established in 2015 therefore Middleton Road is now not part of NCN20″.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • JK/CM stated there is heavy traffic on the road. HW said that the plan was to refresh the existing faded cycle lane and extend it from Peterbrough Rd to Middleton Circle. HW said he will look at whether the circle could be part of this scheme too.
  • CQ said there was an issue with parking outside the trading estate blocking the Wandle Trail near the Toucan crossing.
  • JK asked whether LBS would consider moving cycle lanes inside the parked cars on Middleton Rd. CM suggested the whole scheme be sold as a good link for local residents to the Wandle Trail.

Action: HW to take on comments and feed into designs. Share with group.

Comment: Essentially, separate cycle tracks are required. Painted, or re-painted, lanes are not supported.


North/south cycle route (Wallington North / Wallington South)

Note: this scheme includes the previously reported Bridge Road 2018-2019 scheme (£5,000), plus aspirations for Bute Road/London Road and Onslow Gardens to Clarendon Road across Stafford Road

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Beddington and Wallington

Indicative funding 2017/18: ? [But relatively considerable]

Lead Engineer: IP

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Wallington North/South Cycle Route – There is a network of residential roads running parallel to the east of Woodcote Road and Manor Road that could be used to establish a north / south Wallington cycle route. The route is supported by the ward councillors. The route is Bute Road / Belmont Road / Bridge Road / Clarendon Road / Onslow Gardens. There is an existing east / west route at Blenheim Gardens so route could end here.
  • Bridge Road is closed to traffic by rows of bollards at each end. Vehicular access is still required for maintenance of the street lighting and bridge. It is a pedestrian and cycle route.
  • Bute Road – already traffic calmed with flat topped humps from Croydon Road to Montagu Gardens propose slowing measures between Montagu Gardens and Clifton Road and consider 20mph zone.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

See item 6 ‘North/south cycle route, Wallington’


Rosehill (Rosehill Park West and Waverley Avenue)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Sutton

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: HW

Update (25 July 2017):

  • This section of highway has seen 13 accidents within the last three years. The road has a 30mph speed limit with an average carriageway width of 9m. It is a bus route and future tram route with a pelican crossing near the parade of shops.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Accidents have been reduced over the years. However, this road still has a higher number of accidents than many other roads in the borough. HW said the work is still with WSP to come up with ideas. CM said LCC had originally requested this road be turned into a boulevard. CM said the carriageway is approximately 9m but there is a green space next to it so this could be used as part of the scheme possibly.

Action: HW to share WSP suggestions with group.

Comment: In regard to the boulevard idea, see the Space for Cycling ‘ward ask’ for Sutton North. http://action.space4cycling.org/data/ward/1301 “…protected space to be provided on Rose Hill, Angel Hill, the northern section of Sutton High Street…”


Wrythe Lane (St Helier)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: HW

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Wrythe Lane – between Welbeck Rd and Muschamp Rd –

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Wrythe Lane – between Welbeck Rd and Muschamp Rd –

Action: HW to share WSP suggestions with group

Comment: ?????? What is this exactly?


Stavordale Road (St Helier)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: HW

Update (25 July 2017):

  • New barriers being put in on PROW 45 – Stavordale Road. Safety concerns on blind corner. Aim to slow people down.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Barriers being put in as there is a safety issue with speeding vehicles round blind corner on PROW. Group wished to see how this would be designed as they had concerns about how it would look and how cyclists may navigate the barriers.

Action: HW to share designs with group (a plan was provided).

Comment: This was the first we had heard of this ‘scheme’, which refers to a footpath (alley) linking Bishopsford Road with Stavordale Road. Essentially, (and unfortunately), the path was not designed (never intended) with cycling in mind. Clearly, people have been riding through the link (on bicycles, scooters, motorbikes?), possibly with little regard to other users, and this has given those using the path on foot, or mobility scooters, understandable cause for concern. It is a pity that cycling was not fully built-in to the area by urban planners in the past. The consequence of not doing so, is now all too clear. Nevertheless, the new cycle path proposed for Newstead Walk as part of the Quietway scheme, to be situated about 200m or so to the south-west, will help with cycling permeability through this area.


Sutton Green cycle parking (Sutton North)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Sutton

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: HW

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Sutton Green High St – new cycle stands next to new cafe

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • ?

Comment: Cycle parking stands to be located by a new cafe (former toilet block) is welcome, of course. To be funded through the Local Transport Fund element of the LIP, see Sutton Local Committee July 2017.


Brighton Road / Cotswold Road Phase 2 (Belmont) – also known as Royal Marsden / ICR / Sutton Hospital

Note: scheme carried over from 2016-2017, funding implications not known.

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: LR/IP

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Phase 1 feasibility study was undertaken by Project Centre. The brief was to look at the junction of Brighton Road / Cotswold Road / Chiltern Road due to possible changes to the area through the development of the Cancer Hub and new secondary school. The brief also included looking at the surrounding area to suggest possible infrastructure improvements to encourage sustainable modes of transport. Accidents: two accidents Brighton Road junction, one accident Downs Road junction. Follow up meeting with WSP required.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Phase 2 – plans to be shared.

Action: LR/IP to share Phase 2 plans for comment when available.

Comment:


Foresters Drive between Sandy Lane South and Mollinson Drive (Beddington South)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Beddington and Wallington

Indicative funding 2017/18: £40,000

Lead Engineer: IP

Update (25 July 2017):

  • This section of highway has had six accidents in the last three years. The junction with Sandy Lane South and Waterer Rise has had minor improvements over the years but complaints are still received from road users. The road has a 30mph speed limit with an average carriageway width of 9m. There is currently a proposal to introduce hatching along the length of the road as a speed reducing measure. Introduce a safer crossing point on Mollison Drive between The Newlands and Mollison Drive as this section has an existing cycle route.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Cllr Abellan said the hatching was not being done now. LBS are looking at creating a safer crossing of Foresters Drive and tackling issues of speeding. Cllr Abellan said LBS were looking at improving the 5 arm junction (SQ/CQ presented 10 yr old designs for the 5 arm junction). Cllr Abellan also said initial proposals have been sent back to engineers as not good enough for pedestrians and cyclists.

Comment: Good news that the hatching idea is being ditched. A reminder that the Space for Cycling ‘ward ask’ for Beddington South included protected space for cycling on Foresters Drive.


Sutton Common Recreation Ground (Stonecot)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18: £50,000

Lead Engineer: LR

Update (25 July 2017):

  • This scheme has been requested by the Friends of Sutton Common. They support the NCN208 route to the North of their park and have now suggested a link to the pavilion at Sutton Common Road. CURRENTLY BEING BUILT.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • New path completed. Good news.

Comment: Welcome, of course. In the big scheme of things, though, it is just another path in another park. The focus needs to be on facilitating cycling on the roads and streets around the park. The NCN208 is far short of what is required. [2.5m wide shared, tarmac, path, approximately 240m long]


Green Lane (Worcester Park)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18: £100,000

Lead Engineer: LR

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Provide a 3m wide tarmac path 220m long for shared use between pedestrians and cyclists between the end of the tarmac o/s Green Lane School and the turning area o/s Green Lane riding stables.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • CQ asked whether the track will link to the school. LR said the school are making other demands to add in to the scheme so it is unclear how much can be done this financial year given the money allocated.

Action: LR to share designs when have them.

Comment:


St Dunstan’s School Area (Cheam)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: LR

Update (25 July 2017):

  • Streets would include Anne Boleyn’s Walk, Queens Acre and Jubilee Road. The area as a whole is narrow and heavily parked although some parts may require additional traffic calming measures to keep speeds to 20mph. A 20mph zone would complement the existing raised uncontrolled crossing point at the entrance to St Dunstan’s School.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • 20mph AREA – LR said the school are supportive. Want raised table converted to zebra. SQ said the current design is an issue. A Cycling UK member was injured at the raised table when they hit a bollard/kerb/buildout. SQ said the narrowing of the road was an issue for cyclists.

Action: LR to share designs when have them.

Comment: A scheme that clearly illustrates the timidity with which LB of Sutton are introducing 20mph to the borough’s streets. Nevertheless, other areas are currently being consulted on in regard to 20mph (see below).

A note on 20mph: The introduction of 20mph as a maximum speed limit is very welcome. However, 20mph alone is not the silver bullet that will deliver safe and comfortable cycling for everyone especially on streets where traffic volumes are high. With many residential streets in the borough carrying over 500 motor vehicles an hour in the morning peak, most people will be put off cycling even with a maximum speed limit of 20mph. The options, above and beyond 20mph, include filtered permeability (point closures for through motor traffic but with wide gaps for bicycles and trikes). Point closures maintain full access to all properties by motor vehicle, but from a reduced number of directions. Residents will benefit from a reduction in traffic volume, and the nature of the filtered street will inevitably result in lower speeds too without the requirement for enforcement. On heavily trafficked roads, the provision of separate cycle paths (not on footways, but dedicated carriageway space including well-designed junctions) is necessary where space allows.

In relation to the St Dunstan’s Cheam CofE Primary School area, readers may be interested in Watch out in Cheam! There are children, opps, sorry, humps about, (Sutton Living Streets, January 2014). This post was published at the time of the consultation for the raised table by the school, and commented on the use of what appeared to be a requirement for excessive signage to alert drivers of the raised table. Surely the presence of the school, and the residential setting, are what sets the agenda, not signage. 30mph never has been an appropriate maximum speed limit here, and it amazing how long it has taken for the authorities to recognise this.


Cheam Common Junior school area (Nonsuch)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: LR

Update (25 July 2017):

  • [20 mph…] Being investigated for Cheam Common Junior school area – Balmoral Road, Worcester Park. Informal consultation with residents will be undertaken soon.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • LR said the informal consultation on the proposed 20mph area is ending next week. Roundels on the roads and a zebra crossing outside the school are proposed. Residents and school are supportive. A formal consultation will follow should the Cllrs approve.

ActionForum members to promote consultation. LR to share designs when have them.

Comment: On 30 June 2017 a consultation letter and plan for this scheme had been received for comment.


Stanley Park High School (Carshalton South and Clockhouse)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Carshalton and Clockhouse

Indicative funding 2017/18: £20,000

Lead Engineer: IP

Update (25 July 2017):

  • A 20mph zone is proposed for the road network surrounding Stanley Park High School to encourage cycling and walking and create a safer environment for all road users. Roads within the study area are traffic calmed or heavily parked with speeds presumably already slow and therefore suitable for a 20mph zone.

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • CQ/SQ showed support for 20mph areas rather than zones. CM pointed out that LCN76 suffered from lots of barriers in this area. LR asked CM to include this comment when consultation comes out. [The barriers! For more, see Idea’s for boosting Sutton’s cycling aspirations].

ActionLR to share consultation dates and proposals.

Comment:


Denmark Road (The Wrythe)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Indicative funding 2017/18: £50,000

Lead Engineer: HW?

This scheme did not appear with an update, and was not reported on.


Butter Hill, Leachcroft and Caledon Roads (Wallington North)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Beddington and Wallington

Indicative funding 2017/18: £60,000

Lead Engineer: IP?

This scheme did not appear with an update, and was not reported on.


Camden Road (The Wrythe)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley

Indicative funding 2017/18: £40,000

Lead Engineer: HW?

This scheme did not appear with an update, and was not reported on.


The following proposals were reported on at the July Forum as 2017-2018 schemes, but updates to them had not been provided prior to the meeting.


Kimpton Park Way (Stonecot)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18: ?

Lead Engineer: LR?

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • LR said parking restrictions were going ahead soon.

Action: None


Brookfield Primary (Stonecot)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18:

Lead Engineer: LR?

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • LR said this safe route to schools scheme would involve close working with the school and their travel plan.

Action: LR to share proposals.


Sandy Lane / Burdon Lane (Cheam)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont

Indicative funding 2017/18:

Lead Engineer:

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • LR said plan is to convert traffic island to zebra. Consultation soon.

Action: LR to share consultation dates.


Cheam Common Road (Worcester Park)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18:

Lead Engineer:

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Accident remedial scheme. WSP are designing. Cycle and pedestrian improvements, e.g. sunken gully improvements.

Action: LR to share proposals.


Grange Road / Worcester Road  (Sutton South)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont

Indicative funding 2017/18: £60,000

Lead Engineer:

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • LR said the 20mph area has been approved. Will consult formally on it in the new year. [No rush then!]

Action: LR to share consultation dates and proposals.


Church Hill Road  (Nonsuch)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18:

Lead Engineer:

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • LR said the consultation on this 20mph area will happen early August. Will include roundels, signs and some vertical deflections, e.g. table at Matlock.
  • CQ asked for a bit of signing for cyclists to(o). CQ also suggested no right turns in or out of Lumley Rd. LR asked that all these comments go in the consultation responses.

Action: LR to share consultation dates and proposals.

Update: A consultation letter and plan, referenced to ‘Proposed 20mph zone and other measures in Church Hill Road and surrounding roads’, was received by Get Sutton Cycling on 8 August. CM acknowledged this the same day, commenting that 20mph was welcome but the brief now needed to be widened to encompass the Heathy Streets Approach. It was noted from the plan that it looked as though Wrayfield Road and Buxton Crescent, on the north-east boundary of the zone, were not to be included in the scheme. If this was the case, their exemption was a little incongruous given that both Wrayfield Road and Buxton Crescent were part of a signed cycle route (LCN 75).


Lincoln Road (Worcester Park)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Cheam North and Worcester Park

Indicative funding 2017/18:

Lead Engineer:

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Councillors want one-way. No entry plug suggested instead.

Action: LR to share designs when have them.

Update: A consultation letter and plan, referenced to ‘Proposed short section of one-way working at the western end of Lincoln Road Worcester Road’, was received by Get Sutton Cycling on 1 September. we replied on 14 September:

The introduction of a short section of one-way working, with cycle contraflow, is likely to be a positive intervention for cycling here given that the entry plug will act as a form of filtering and result in some reduction in through motor traffic movements.
Having sought the views of LCC members and supporters on this, our only reservations relate to the the width of the gap for cycle access at the western end of the road (by Green Lane) and the ease of access when cycling into the gap from Green Lane (particularly, perhaps, when approaching from the north and turning left into Lincoln Road). Ideally, the gap will be need to be 1.5 metres (or more) wide to accommodate trikes and cargo-bikes. From the plan it looks as though, through a combination of narrow gap width and reduction in the width of the splay at the junction (generally a good thing), that there may not be sufficient turning space for someone to manoeuvre into the gap (especially if they had, for example, an extension for a child’s trailer fitted to their bike). We would recommend that consideration be given to providing a wider gap for cycle access, and suggest this could be facilitated through a reduction in the width of the proposed central island.
On a wider scale, and looking to the future, we would like to see Green Lane transformed into a cycle street (or have cycle tracks installed) so as to create a link between Worcester Park Station, the LCN75, and Lower Morden Lane. This would enable pupils of Green Lane Primary to cycle to school. If forthcoming proposals for the Quietway here were to include such ideas, this would be very welcome. It is also hoped that Healthy Streets and Liveable Neighbourhoods are terms that residents begin to see, and recognise, in all future consultation correspondence.

Grange Vale (Sutton South)

Open Street Map and Google Streetview

Local Committee: Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont

Indicative funding 2017/18:

Lead Engineer: 

Minutes (18 August 2017):

  • Councillors want to look at again. Want push control crossing. Should get consultation soon.

Action: LR to share consultation dates when know them.

Comment: No idea what this is all about.

6: North/south cycle route, Wallington

Detailed here as reported in the received minutes (received 18 August 2017) [with additions in brackets]:

  • CM has observed kids cycling on the pavement on Croydon Road [by Bute Road] and lots of school drop offs in this area. CllrA said the crossing of Croydon Road needed improving. It would link to Beddington Park. LR said all changes in this area depended on TfL. [On that last point, we are clearly pleased that, in December 2015, Councillors agreed that proposals, which could ultimately see protected space for cycling on the busy road adjacent to the school, be presented to Transport for London for consideration].
  • CQ mentioned “vicious” road humps on Bute Road. Said these needed improving but crossings of Stafford Rd and changes to Bridge Road / Ross Parade junction were most important.
  • Suggested changes to the Bridge Road / Ross Parade junction included moving the bollards back, creating a raised table, better signage.
  • JK wanted the Woodcote/Stanley Park Road junction design to take into account the N/S route. Can signals at Sainsbury’s be combined to allow pedestrian and cycle crossing on the N/S route alignment?
  • N/S route to finish at Blenheim Gardens where it will join an existing east / west route.
  • CM suggested the scheme be considered as a liveable neighbourhood scheme. This would help sell the scheme to residents and have additional benefits beyond cycling.
  • CllrA suggested to sell the scheme to ward Cllrs it would be a good idea to sell the long term improvements for everyone. CllrA also suggested the engineers do similar engagement with Cllrs as have done with the Quietway, e.g. set up a meeting to discuss the designs when they are ready so support can be gathered.
  • JK mentioned that the Croydon Road section was one of the most polluted road in the area and had three schools close by. This seemed like a good angle to use on this scheme.

Action (July 2017): RF to take comments so far, work on designs and bring back to group for further comments.

7: Quietway update

Detailed here as reported in the received minutes (received 18 August 2017) [with additions in brackets]:

  • CM complimented LR and Sustrans consultation letter that went out. [For more on this, see Sutton’s proposed first Quietway: the conversation begins (Get Sutton Cycling, August 2017)].
  • LR said that the Morden to Sutton Quietway was the most advanced [Presumably this refers to the two proposed Quietways for the borough].
  • LR said the informal consultation on the Morden to Sutton Quietway had been extended due to a low response rate. LBS expected more of a response when the actual designs became available.
  • LR said LBS will soon go to detailed design sponsor review with Tfl to get sign off and receive the next bit of funding.
  • LR said the Sutton to Worcester Park Quietway is progressing well. A Quietway Definition Plan (QDP) is currently being developed.

NOTE: At the subsequent Quietway meeting on 24 August (effectively part two of this Cycle Forum), it was again stated that TfL would only fund the Quietway if certain criteria were met. The criteria included the need to reduce traffic volume on Benhill Wood Road and Grennell Road.

8: AOB

Detailed here as reported in the received minutes (received 18 August 2017) [with additions in brackets]:

  • CQ brought a new planning application to the attention of the group. The new Queen Victoria building planning app includes a proposed transport liaison group, which includes a cycling rep. Action: Forum to keep an eye on this planning app and the creation of a transport liaison group.
  • CM asked that it be noted that LCC and Cycling UK had provided consultation responses for Beddington Lane.
  • CM asked what was happening on Tharp Road. It was supposed to be a one way trial. JK stated that if there was no contra flow for cycling this will close the route. Action: IP to provide update on Tharp Road.
  • JK raised 2 maintenance issues:
    • Shared path on Therapia Lane, between Beddington Lane and Greenland Way being used as a car park.
    • Shared path between Culvers Avenue and Buckhurst Avenue not signed good enough to show it is a shared path. Action: LG to respond to issues raised by JK
  • Cycle counts [March 2016 and March 2017. Will these be reported on soon?] Action: PG to provide cycle counts before next meeting.
  • CM asked for updates on the cycling strategy and the Sutton Town Centre Masterplan.

9: Date of next meeting

The next meeting will take place on Tuesday 26th September 2017 at 10am at Denmark Road. [Noting the special Cycle Forum meeting scheduled for 24 August to learn more about the Colliers Wood to Sutton ‘Quietway’].

v1: 24.09.2017

Advertisements
Posted in Cycle Forum

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: