Notes from our May 2019 Meeting

Date and time: Wednesday 22nd May 7.30pm.

Venue: The California, 267 Brighton Rd, Sutton SM2 5SU

Meeting Agenda

  1. Welcome, introductions, and apologies for absence (Gary James/Chair)
  2. Actions and matters arising from our last meeting on 9 March 2019 (All)
    1. Bikefest 21st Sept- discuss what will do as a group (All)
    2. Sutton Cycle Forum – new items for next one? 11 June 2019 (All)
      1. Budge Lane (John K/Colin Quemby)
    3. Sutton’s Liveable Neighbourhood Bid 2019 updates (Marcus)
    4. Sustran NCN20 update (Marcus)
    5. Suggestions for suitable meeting venues (All)
  3. Sutton Council consultations on local road schemes
    1. Recent consultations (summary)
    2. Upcoming consultations (see Cyclescape)
    3. Progress on a template for our responses (Marcus)
    4. TFL response to Sutton Tram Link (Any)
  4. LCC Local Group forum updates (Dominic/Marcus)
    1. CID cycling infrastructure database – £1k award to groups that contribute updates on app (future) (Marcus)
    2. Draft Infrastructure Handbook (Marcus) read here
    3. LCC Safeguarding (regs on <18yrs) if offical LCC event (Marcus) read here
    4. LCC Campaigner’s Conference 2019 8th June (Marcus) Register here
  5. News and updates: discussion of relevant local cycling issues
  6. New newsletter/ email contributions? (All)
  7. AOB
    1. Environmental Fair – Dr Bike, Gazebos (Shirley?)
    2. Women on Wheels?
    3. Joint ride with Merton Group Solstice Ride 12 June
  8. Date and venue of the next meeting


Welcome, introductions, and apologies for absence

Present: Marcus H (Co-coordinator), John P, Maeve T, Dominic H

Apoligises: Chas M (Co-coordinator), Gary J (Chair), John K (Secretary), Neil W (LCC Trustee)

2 Actions and matters arising from our last meeting on 9 March 2019 (All)

  • Bikefest 21st Sept- discuss what will do as a group (All)
    • DH confirmed Big pedal cinema is going ahead.
    • They are looking to get the pedal powered choir
    • Tandems for blind on Rollers/turbo trainers
    • Half pipe for BMX demos
    • MT pased on Steve Wright’s number to MH to follow up with other groups Action MH
    • DH contacted Westcroft Wheelers, will follow up. Action DH
    • DH suggested we think of short films with positive message
      • good routes in the area
      • advertising our website
      • DH will later open idea of film shorts competition to schools Action DH
    • MH will post the invitation to groups from Sarah Wheeldon on website. Action MH
  • Sutton Cycle Forum – new items for next one? 11 June 2019 (All)
    • Helen Miller is taking over from Gemma Sugarman
    • Final minutes from previous (5 Feb) meeting are now available
    • no further points raised
  • Sutton’s Liveable Neighbourhood Bid 2019 updates (Marcus)
    • Councillor Manuel Abellan wrote back 2nd May to say work progressing on “cells” of the LNB and he would let us know about meeting again after he’d seen officers.
    • MT noted that Parking Strategy / CPZ would not be environmentally friendly or work as part of a LNB.
  • Sustran NCN20 update (Marcus)
    • No further response from Sustran since March asking for which priorities will be addressed, should follow up. Action MH
    • DH mentioned the K-barrier is not on the official NCN20 so cargo bikes for example can take an alternative route.
  • Suggestions for suitable meeting venues (All)
    • The California got a “thumbsup”, plenty of space and quiet.
    • JP said the Presidents Lounge at Sutton FC is getting refurbished again into classrooms, should be ready for next official GSC meeting.
    • MT mentioned that EcoLocal have a venue for groups to use.

3 Sutton Council consultations on local road schemes

  • Recent consultations (summary)
    • Windsor Avenue Area
    • Demand Responsive Bus Trial
    • Western Road/Tate Road – Proposed improvements outside Homefield Preparatory School
    • Various traffic calming measures around Wallington
  • Upcoming consultations (see Cyclescape)
    • n/a
  • Progress on a template for our responses (Marcus)
    • CM, NW, JK & MH met 3rd April and collected ideas on this
    • MH said it is partially superceded by a section in LCC Draft Infrastructure Handbook read here
  • TFL response to Sutton Tram Link (Any)
    • Quite a number of views on this, including if TFL would have the finiances to actually make it happen.
    • DH mentioned that if replacing the Sutton loop the end effect would be losing the ability to board with bicycles.
    • JP mentioned the through route of Rosehill would be problematic.
    • DH suggested a trail service by bus (like the X26) along the proposed route to test take up would be a good idea and affordable. He will may write to TFL Action DH

4 LCC Local Group forum updates (Dominic/Marcus)

  • CID cycling infrastructure database – £1k award to groups that contribute updates on app (future) (Marcus)
    • LCC have employed a developer working on an app, watch this space
  • Draft Infrastructure Handbook (Marcus) read here
    • available,
  • LCC Safeguarding (regs on <18yrs) if offical LCC event (Marcus) read here
    • any one putting on official LCC events needs to read this.
  • LCC Campaigner’s Conference 2019 8th June (Marcus) Register here
    • early access available now to activists, includes
      • Sharing your stories – how to create effective communication plans
      • Growing a healthy group – how to get the best out of your group and recruit new members
      • Decoding a scheme plan – how to do it and the key questions to ask
      • Hold the press – how to generate press coverage of your campaigning and a chance to practice your interview skills
      • Go bigger, better and bolder – how to creating a Borough Vision and why it’s so important
      • Better Streets for London – how can you build networks to support active travel in your borough?
      • Chatting to Councillors – how to build and maintain effective relationships with the council

5 News and updates: discussion of relevant local cycling issues

  • n/a

6 New newsletter/ email contributions? (All)

  • MH mentioned if any one wanted to post on the site they were welcome to email text/images to him, could proof read too if necessary

7 AOB

  • Environmental Fair – Dr Bike, Gazebos (Shirley?)
    • MH can supply a Gazebo as purchased one recently for himself.
    • GSC paid for the Dr Bike site.
    • MH said we should use for publicity, need to ask about our banner Action MH
  • Women on Wheels?
  • Joint ride with Merton Group Solstice Ride 12 June
    • we should publicise this with post / tweet Action MH
  • MT Community Lavender Farm are having a weekend event 27/28 July which we could turn up at the raise awareness of GSC
  • DH We could organise rides to Lavender Farm or Park rides
  • MH/DH LCC ride leader training is available from LCC HQ, either funded centrally or from group funds. If anyone interested contact Conor @ LCC.

8 Date and venue of the next meeting

  • given majority of committee members were not present we did not decide on one
Posted in Meetings
One comment on “Notes from our May 2019 Meeting
  1. […] the upcoming Liveable Neighbourhood and review what’s been acheived (or not) since our last meeting in […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

LCC Newsletters via email
Opt in to receive emails from either the Sutton local group list or the main LCC enewsletter list here or manage all your LCC subscriptions here.
Follow us on Twitter
%d bloggers like this: